Yoga is for everyone, and I really enjoy helping people learn the basics of yoga and meditation. I teach breathing techniques (pranayama) with stretches(asanas) to build strength and flexibility and also to reduce pain and stress. I also teach various meditation techniques that help to calm and relax your mind. The goal is to ground yourself and achieve this peace to carry with you in your everyday life.
The word yoga means "union" in Sanskrit. This union is achived by uniting your mind, body and spirit with the universe through asanas, pranayam and meditation.
Although yoga is often misunderstood to be primarily a form of exercise, in reality it is an ancient practice for stopping the fluctuations of the mind, or what the Yoga Sutras refer to as “chitta vrtti”. When the mind is calm we can finally listen to what the universe is telling us.
The list of reasons to do yoga is endless but in my opinion the most important one in today's world are.
1. It helps in reducing stress
2. Yoga teaches you to breath more deeply improving the lung functions and increasing the oxygen level in the body.
3. It builds strength and flexibility in your muscles and joints and helps you stay strong over time.
4. Yoga helps you build your concentration and balance.
5. It helps in weight management by increasing your body's metabolism and burns the excess calories and reduces the cortisol levels(stress hormones).
6. Yoga improves circulation and promotes healing by efficiently moving the oxygenated blood to all the cells.
7. It improves digestion and helps relieve constipation.
8. Yoga helps in lowering your blood sugar, Cholesterol and high blood pressure.